The CCPA applies to a business, meaning a legal entity organized or operated for the profit or financial benefit of its owners, which is one of the following.
- Has annual gross revenues in excess of $25 million
- Alone or in combination, annually buys, receives for the business’s commercial purposes, sells, or shares for commercial purposes, alone or in combination, the personal information of 50,000 or more consumers, households, or devices
- Derives 50 percent or more of its annual revenues from selling consumers’ personal information
- Collects consumers’ personal information
- Determines the purposes and means of the processing of consumers’ personal information
- Does business in California
A consumer means a California resident.
Personal information means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household, and the CCPA describes various types of personal information.
Sell, selling, sale, or sold means selling, renting, releasing, disclosing, disseminating, making available, transferring, or otherwise communicating orally, in writing, or by electronic or other means a consumer’s personal information by one business to another business or a third party for monetary or other valuable consideration.